Russ, I know this is taken out of context, but tell me what your impression is.
Post Reply   Forum

Posted by: TEEBONE

02/18/2021, 11:27:42

Author Profile Mail author Edit

Robert David Steele quipped "When the product is free, YOU'RE the product." re centralized internet control.

Thoughts?

TEE

LIBERTY HAS NO EXPIRATION DATE

Democrats wouldn't buy a clue if it was government subsidized.

Liberals are people who stand on their heads and insist that the world is upside-down.

Modified by TEEBONE at Thu, Feb 18, 2021, 13:44:42

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert View All   Previous | Next | Current page
Well said and exactly true.
Re: Russ, I know this is taken out of context, but tell me what your impression is. -- TEEBONE Post Reply Top of thread Forum

Posted by: Russ Walden

02/18/2021, 13:59:16

Tee --
When you log onto Facebook, the service is (presumably) free. Facebook then spends a good deal of money and energy to identify what you are. They then sell you to their advertisers. That is their revenue model.

But, no need to pick on Facebook for this example. The same is true of the Rush Limbaugh show if you listen to it on the radio. Rush is, or was, selling you to his advertisers. That is his revenue model. I listen to it from his website -- a subscription service -- so I don't hear any of the commercials. Instead, I hear a lot of fun stuff intended to entertain me until the commercials are over.

One might say the same of this forum -- except I don't have a revenue model, . . . which might be the reason I don't have any revenue.

Take care,
Russ

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert Where am I? Original Top of thread Previous | Next | Current page
Heh-heh. Thanks, that's what I figured.
Re: Well said and exactly true. -- Russ Walden Post Reply Top of thread Forum

02/18/2021, 14:15:55

It's the same on "monetized" YouTube clicks, is it not?

TEE

Liberals are people who stand on their heads and insist that the world is upside-down.

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert Where am I? Original Top of thread Previous | Next | Current page
Exactly so, but at a cheaper rate, . . .
Re: Heh-heh. Thanks, that's what I figured. -- TEEBONE Post Reply Top of thread Forum

02/18/2021, 15:03:54

Tee --
Rush's show was the high-rent district for certain, not all, advertisers because of the size and demographics of his audience. He spent a lot of money determining both. He usually mentioned it in the context of audience size, but the demographics were also important. Advertisers pay extra to target certain demographic groups. The more precise the identification, the more they will pay.

A You-Tube click doesn't have much identification, so it doesn't pay much.

Take care,
Russ

Modified by Russ Walden at Thu, Feb 18, 2021, 15:12:26

I remember when certain major advertisers pulled their ads from Rush's program, then wanted to come back. He told them to pound sand. He was the sterling example in many venues, 'cause he was big enough to do it.
Re: Exactly so, but at a cheaper rate, . . . -- Russ Walden Post Reply Top of thread Forum

02/18/2021, 15:16:49

They fucked with the wrong cowboy.

TEE

Modified by TEEBONE at Thu, Feb 18, 2021, 15:18:02

They did it because of Twitter campaigns, . . .
Re: I remember when certain major advertisers pulled their ads from Rush's program, then wanted to come back. He told them to pound sand. He was the sterling example in many venues, 'cause he was big enough to do it. -- TEEBONE Post Reply Top of thread Forum

02/18/2021, 15:32:42

Tee --
Rush told them that the Twitter numbers were bogus. He then undertook a very definitive study of Twitter and demonstrated that most of the traffic came from bots. He did, I believe, politely remind his former advertisers that he had warned them, and then he, not so politely, told them to fuck off. He was, as I recall, rather gleeful about it. He said he had no trouble replacing them. He was not only big enough to do it, he was stubborn enough to do it.

You're right, they fucked with the wrong cowboy. Most shows would have taken them back, but not Rush. One of his favorite mantras was, "Do not doubt me."

Take care,
Russ

Modified by Russ Walden at Thu, Feb 18, 2021, 15:34:49

Forum     Back