Online users
???: MessageRuss Walden: Message  

My 'Jobs story...
Re: And a good guy. too. He was the initial reason for Apple's success, not Jobs. -- Russ Walden Post Reply Top of thread Forum

Posted by: LateForLunch

06/14/2020, 00:32:49

Author Profile Mail author Edit

Years ago I met a businessman at the airport and we chatted about this and that. He revealed that he was an investment banker whose firm was once approached for a sizable loan by Mr. Jobs.

At this time in his long career, Steven had hit shallow waters shall we say. His projects were not generating cash - the Net was being born and nothing exciting was happening - no new products or inventions or ideas had come out of his mills in a long time.

Fellow said he went to the meeting late in the evening - to Jobs' mansion somewhere. Exchanged brief pleasantries then got down to business. Jobs said how much he wanted and how he would pay it back. The gentlemen asked what he was going to put up for collateral for the loan (since it far exceeded any income for his last few tax returns). Jobs huffed defiantly , "COLLATERAL!! My word is the only collateral I need and it's the only collateral you're going to get!!" The gentleman stood up, extended his right hand, shook Jobs' hand, said, "Thank you for your time, Mr. Jobs," and left.

His firm was not into speculation. He thought that would be understood up front by someone of Jobs' supposed stature.

Modified by LateForLunch at Sun, Jun 14, 2020, 00:37:55

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert Where am I? Original Top of thread Previous | Next | Current page

Replies to this message