Online users
???: Message   

From comments: Yet another 'scholar' so enamored with is own 'intelect' that he begs for (and deserves) a thorough b!tch-slapping --
Re: GAH! This guy needs worked over using a pair of leather police "slapper" gloves: -- TEEBONE Post Reply Top of thread Forum

Posted by: TEEBONE ®

03/13/2020, 14:42:58

Author Profile Mail author Edit
John 724
Thor-given rights?

Cool!

But seriously, folks, just read the original 1789 debates in Congress on the wording of the Second Amendment, including an exemption for persons ‘religiously scrupulous of bearing arms’; i.e., allowing for conscientious objection to military service.

Clearly, the Founders weren’t talking about individual Quakers going duck hunting while unarmed (though that might’ve spared Elmer Fudd some self-inflicted injuries in future times...)

The NRA rhetoric about how individual citizens must remained (heavily) armed so as to be ready at any moment to overthrow a tyrannical gubmint is totally unconstitutional: logically, in law, and in fact, there can be no ‘constitutional right’ to stage insurrections and seek to abolish the system of government established by the Constitution. Rather, the Constitution enumerates the right of that government to ‘suppress insurrections’.

Barry Hirsh
The Declaration of Independence declares the right of the people to alter or abolish government that fails to protect their liberty, which is a founding principle of this republic. The Second Amendment exists to prevent the government from removing the ability of the people to pursue that remedy should it become necessary. And, government does not have rights, it has powers, but only such powers as are enumerated in our social contract, to wit, it exists only by the consent of the governed. Individuals have rights, and governments are instituted among men to secure them.

This stuff is pretty basic. I'm surprised that it escapes you.

LIBERTY HAS NO EXPIRATION DATE

Democrats wouldn't buy a clue if it was government subsidized.

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert Where am I? Original Top of thread Previous | Next | Current page

Replies to this message