STING-king-eh RAH'thn.......
Post Reply   Forum

Posted by: TEEBONE ®

03/10/2020, 23:00:35

Author Profile Mail author Edit
www.washingtonexaminer.com

Devin Nunes: UK memo warning about Christopher Steele's credibility 'went missing'

by Daniel Chaitin  | March 09, 2020 08:08 AM
4-5 minutes

A top House Republican said a memo from the British government disavowing British ex-spy Christopher Steele, the author of the anti-Trump dossier, has gone "missing."

Rep. Devin Nunes, the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, told Fox News on Sunday that Republicans have asked around for the communique a top United Kingdom national security official is said to have delivered to the Trump transition team a week before President Trump's inauguration in January 2017.

"Now look, that document went missing," the California Republican said on Fox & Friends Weekend, noting that the letter is "critical" for retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn's defense.

"Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee have asked for this document, but like everything with this Russia hoax, the documents seem to disappear that are really important for the Trump administration and Republicans," Nunes added.

A letter from the British Embassy to the incoming national security team after Trump was elected to the White House was mentioned in an unsealed filing in federal court by former national security adviser Flynn’s lawyers. The filing claimed this letter was also sent to outgoing national security adviser Susan Rice and "apparently disavows former British Secret Service Agent Christopher Steele, calls his credibility into question and declares him untrustworthy."

North Carolina Rep. Mark Meadows, a Republican ally of Nunes and Trump, said in May that he sent a referral to the Justice Department for the memo after its existence was revealed by a whistleblower.

“Based on my conversations with that individual, and the credible timelines that are supported by other events, I made a referral to Attorney General William Barr and Inspector General Michael Horowitz for further investigation,” Meadows said at the time. “There now is overwhelming evidence to suggest that on multiple occasions, the FBI was warned that Christopher Steele and the dossier had severe credibility issues.”

Steele's dossier, which contained unverified allegations about Trump's ties to Russia, was used by the FBI and Justice Department to obtain a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act warrant to wiretap onetime Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, who was suspected of being an agent of Russia but was never charged with wrongdoing. Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz identified at least 17 “significant errors or omissions” in the Justice Department's and the FBI’s use of Steele’s dossier.

Flynn pleaded guilty in December 2017 to lying to investigators about his communications with a Russian envoy and agreed to cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation. But he switched legal teams last year and told the court in January, “I am innocent of this crime." He filed to withdraw his guilty plea after the Justice Department asked Judge Emmet Sullivan to sentence Flynn up to six months in prison, though afterward, the department said probation would also be appropriate. Flynn's team, led by Sidney Powell, is pressing for the dismissal of his case, arguing the FBI unfairly treated Flynn.

Barr recently selected Jeffrey Jensen, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Missouri, to review the Flynn case. He also appointed U.S. Attorney John Durham of Connecticut to review the origins of the Russia investigation.

Steele has defended his work, saying last week, "I stand by the integrity of our work, our sources, and what we did," and he also declined to do an interview with Durham's team.

Nunes said last fall he hoped the Flynn case would shed light on the elusive letter from the U.K.

"I know there are witnesses out there that know this. And I hope that the judge in this case will actually get those witnesses that know this document exists and let them come in and talk to the court or at least give an affidavit to the court," he said in September.

Nunes recently said House Republicans have subpoenas "ready" for "dirty cops" if they win control of the House in November.

LIBERTY HAS NO EXPIRATION DATE

Democrats wouldn't buy a clue if it was government subsidized.

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert View All   Previous | Next | Current page

Replies to this message