Online users
???: Message   

The curse of vagueness?
Re: Kawczynski is very wrong, disappointly so. -- Russ Walden Post Reply Top of thread Forum

Posted by: LateForLunch

07/07/2019, 13:52:28

Author Profile Mail author Edit

Modern (post-modern?) culture swerving to emotion/intuition-dominated cognition likes vagaries. As far as many Millennials are concerned, the more the merrier.

One of the side benefits of reading the writing of CG Jung is that I realized in grasping some of his concepts, that even the most subtle things may be described using the power of English and other civilized languages.

English in particular allows so much possibility for accuracy (over 300,000 words and growing making it the biggest lexicon) that when I hear the expression, "beyond description," my first thought is, "uh, don't you mean 'beyond EASY description' "?

There is IMO no excuse for a writer being vague - especially when it comes to central or other important elements of the prose. If he really believed that a gross generalization concerning tolerance existed, then he's wrong (nice exposition above, Primo!

He needs to maybe clarify his own thinking and read some others who have written on the general topics Russ mentions above. Adolescent writers's most common mistake is probably to fail to understand that the more-general the statement, the less likely to be true.

Physics or other hard sciences are the exceptions.

Modified by LateForLunch at Sun, Jul 07, 2019, 13:52:49

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert Where am I? Original Top of thread Previous | Next | Current page

Replies to this message