Online users
???: Message   

Cousin Elwood call your office. Ten Years After at Woodstock...
Post Reply   Forum

Posted by: LateForLunch ®

07/02/2019, 11:34:21

Author Profile Mail author Edit

...not a bad way to wake up in the rain on that historic day. Historic. Whatever that has come to mean in the Age of Insanity and Vagary. 

I like the raw energy of Goin' Home. The guitar work is sublime. That so much sound could be brought out of a Gibson ES series guitar (my personal favorite) is astonishing (the hollow body presents a lot of challenges esp. live). 

One of the "bucket list" guitar leads that I wanted to be able to do before I died and (mostly) succeeded. Alvin Lee at his best. 

Some of the others Close to the Edge by Steve Howe, A few of Page/Zep leads (Heartbreaker, Stairway, Black Dog, Rock- and-Roll),  Clapton's Crossroads from Wheels of Fire. I even took a crack at Mahavishnu Orchestra/John McLaughlin's Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love (but that required a Gibson SG with insanely easy action I could not afford).

I took a whirl at 

Hot Rats by Zappa with the Mothers of Invention (more hollow body guitar work),
 Crying to the Skies by Bill Nelson from Sunburst Finish (another ES series Gibson soaring to the heights), 
Spirit of Radio, Red Barchetta, Limelight, Suburbs by that Russian guy (Alex Lifeson aka Alex Zovovinavich) with band Rush, 
Easter Sunday/Evening Star, Great Deceiver, 20th Century Dreaming by Robert Fripp (on a Les Paul made to sound like a hollow-body with electronics),
Stratus (live at Ebbet's Field, Co., armored-patrol music) by Tommy Bolin and Friends.

My other favorites were well beyond my scope. Vai, Satriani, Van Halen (Django Reinhardt), Jeff Beck's later work most burnin' jazz greats, (Jennifer Batten, Les Paul, et al) too well-studied AND talented to approach.

Segovia the best of all.  

Modified by LateForLunch at Tue, Jul 02, 2019, 11:40:03

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert   Previous | Next | Current page