Online users
???: Message   

"Fired" Canadian lefty cartoonist: "WAH!!!"
Post Reply   Forum

Posted by: TEEBONE ®

07/01/2019, 17:07:32

Author Profile Mail author Edit

www.dailywire.com

Canadian Cartoonist Claims He Lost Contract After Illustration Of Trump And Dead Migrants. Paper Calls It A ‘False Narrative.’

By Ashe Schow @asheschow July 1, 2019 21.8k views
4-4 minutes

A Canadian cartoonist said he was “let go from all newspapers in New Brunswick” just two days after one of his cartoons — depicting President Donald Trump playing golf over the bodies of two drowned migrants — went viral.

Michael de Adder had a contract with Brunswick News Inc. (BNI) for 17 years, and tweeted June 28 that his cartoons would no longer appear in four papers in the province — the Times & Transcript, The Daily Gleaner, the Telegraph-Journal, and the Telegraph-Journal Saint John. In a later tweet, he acknowledged that he had not been “fired” as he was “under contract no employed.”

De Adder had drawn two other anti-Trump cartoons in the past two weeks, one showing him holding a ventriloquist dummy of former White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders and another of him as a carnival worker at shooting-game booth titled “Enemy of the People.”

In response to the notion that de Adder was let go over the latest anti-Trump cartoon, Brunswick News released a statement explaining what happened:

It is entirely incorrect to suggest Brunswick News Inc. cancelled its freelance contract with cartoonist Michael de Adder due to a cartoon depicting Donald Trump currently circulating on social media. This is a false narrative which has emerged carelessly and recklessly on social media. In fact, BNI was not even offered this cartoon by Mr. de Adder. The Decision to bring back reader favourite Greg Perry was made long before this cartoon, and negotiations had been ongoing for weeks.

De Adder took a brief hiatus from Twitter but when he returned, he painted the picture that politics was the reason he was let go. He said “every Donald Trump cartoon I submitted in the past year was axed,” so he stopped submitting them for “fear that I might be fired.”

He claimed he was let go because he wouldn’t do what the Premier of New Brunswick wanted.

“The Premier of New Brunswick Blaine Higgs is a former Irving Oil executive and any cartoon I drew that was slightly critical of him was systematically axed. You want to know why I was let go? I wanted to do my job as an editorial cartoonist, and they wanted me to do their job,” de Adder tweeted.

He went on to suggest his firing had to do with his recent Trump cartoons, even though he hadn’t submitted them to any of the New Brunswick papers.

“But in the past 2 weeks I drew 3 Trump cartoons. 2 went viral and the third went supernova and a day later I was let go. And not only let go, the cartoons they already had in the can were not used. Overnight it was like I never worked for the paper. Make your own conclusions,” de Adder tweeted.

De Adder is the latest cartoonist to face a backlash for his art. The New York Times in June decided to stop running editorial cartoons after the paper published two anti-Semitic cartoons depicting Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The Times initially released a statement regarding one of the images, which went viral. The paper didn't issue an apology until after a synagogue was shot up in California the same weekend the cartoon went viral.

Mr. de Adder: Thou hast messed with the bull. Thou hast gotten the horn. Butch up.

LIBERTY HAS NO EXPIRATION DATE

Democrats wouldn't buy a clue if it was government subsidized.

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert   Previous | Next | Current page