Online users
???: Message   

Sun. East. Rising. *yawn* - Apparently it's not enough attacking the 2a, now they're attacking the 1st.
Post Reply   Forum

Posted by: TEEBONE ®

03/13/2019, 16:46:22

Author Profile Mail author Edit
newschannel20.com

Illinois Democrat pushes to ban gun sanctuary counties

Leslie Moreno
2-3 minutes

Guns (FILE PHOTO)

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WICS/WRSP) — An Illinois Democrat, Rep. Kathleen Willis (D-Addison) is pushing legislation to make it illegal for counties to declare themselves gun sanctuaries.

The move has gun owners upset and some said they're against this bill.

They say if it passes it'll infringe on their Second Amendment rights.

It's a growing trend across the state and area counties are declaring themselves "gun sanctuaries."

"It's just a statement that's saying, 'We're not going to take your guns. If you want to own guns, it's okay to do it here,'" Doug Schmidgall said.

Lawmakers are trying to make those declarations illegal. Last summer a lawmaker pushing for stricter gun laws proposed a similar resolution.

Gun sanctuaries have raised questions about who's allowed to decide what is or isn't constitutional.

“According to the First Amendment, we have the right to petition the county, the government, for things like this. But the Democrats are trying to make it illegal. So, it sounds like they are trying to go against the Constitution of the United States," Schmidgall said.

So far, 26 of Illinois’ 102 counties have declared themselves gun sanctuaries. The term is a play on "sanctuary cities," which vow to protect immigrant rights by limiting how they cooperate with federal immigration policies.

But some gun owners said this is just another example of lawmakers overstepping.

“I've had it with this state, it's all just corrupt Democrats and politicians trying to stick their hand in my pocket when I want to make a little bit of money," Schmidgall said.

The 26 counties that are currently “gun sanctuaries” are: Brown, Christian, Clark, Clay, Cumberland, Douglas, Effingham, Fayette, Ford, Greene, Hamilton, Hardin, Henry, Iroquois, Jasper, Jefferson, Lawrence, Monroe, Perry, Pope, Saline, Shelby, Washington, Wayne, White and Woodford.

LIBERTY HAS NO EXPIRATION DATE

Democrats wouldn't buy a clue if it was government subsidized.

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert   Previous | Next | Current page