Online users
???: Message???: Message  

Stoopid negro AR state senator acts out, and because she's a 'protected minority', nobody's going to hold her to account. Disgusting.
Post Reply   Forum

Posted by: TEEBONE ®

03/12/2019, 17:01:13

Author Profile Mail author Edit
katv.com

Won't apologize for 'passion and emotion,' Flowers says; senators against reprimand

Scott Carroll, Marine Glisovic
2-3 minutes

Arkansas Sen. Stephanie Flowers, lower right, addresses a Senate committee after video of her passionate argument against a "stand our ground" bill went viral (Photo: KATV)

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) — 

Arkansas Sen. Stephanie Flowers, D-Pine Bluff, on Monday told lawmakers that she won't apologize for a passionate argument she made against a "stand your ground" self-defense bill last week.

Her remarks came after video of the speech went viral over the weekend. A clip of Flowers chastising a Senate Judiciary Committee and refusing to stop speaking was viewed millions of times online and shared by politicians, gun control advocates and celebrities. In the video, Flowers argues that "stand your ground" laws in other states have taken a violent toll on black communities. When committee chairman Sen. Alan Clark, R- Lonsdale, says Flowers needs to stop, she replies, "No, I don't. What the hell you going to do? Shoot me?" Flowers walks out of the hearing soon afterward.

The committee voted against the bill 4-3.

On Monday, before another hearing on the bill, Flowers told the committee she would not "apologize for my expression and my passion and my emotion." Instead she asked the committee "to try to understand where my passion comes from."

Senate Majority Leader Jim Hendren, R-Gravette, told the committee Monday that although Flowers had used profanity and acted against Senate decorum, he would not support attempts to reprimand her. He said he appreciated her passion and sincerity and would like the committee to move on.

"One of the hardest jobs we have is to understand that many of us come from different backgrounds and different life experiences," Hendren said.

Sen. Bob Ballinger, who filed the "stand your ground" bill, also addressed the committee. He said he would not ask for Flowers to be reprimanded and called for comradery.

"We are colleagues. We are friends. And I do love all of you," he said.

Flowers said countless people have called and emailed her to offer their support since the video went viral.

"I think we all know its been a quite amazing and unusual weekend, at least for me ... and social media has, in other words, blown up," she said. "And I think that's a good thing."

LIBERTY HAS NO EXPIRATION DATE

Democrats wouldn't buy a clue if it was government subsidized.

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert View All   Previous | Next | Current page

Replies to this message