Online users
???: Message???: Message  

Here they are: Part Five?
Re: Here they are: Part Four -- Bartb Post Reply Top of thread Forum

Posted by: Bartb ®

12/29/2018, 06:33:15

Author Profile Mail author Edit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miles Kington - "Knowledge is knowing the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in your fruit salad."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"None of us is smarter than all of us" - Japanese proverb
Truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders than the arguments of its opposers. --William Penn
"We needn’t love our billionaires, but we should be grateful we live in a society that keeps creating new ones." -- Nigel Holloway

"Not All Knowledge Comes from College" - Allison Bailes
The Law is what we live with.  Justice is harder to achieve.
- Sherlock Holmes
What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. - Rep. Elbridge Gerry, Debate on what became the 2nd Amendment, 8/17/1789
"Authoritarian/totalitarian attempts to explain/predict/control absolutely everything, haven't worked out well so far. The usual explanation for failure is that the victims weren't trying hard enough.

The Church was an early such attempt, conning believers into enslaving themselves, and confessing their "sins."

The Nazis and communists later contributed their efforts toward eliminating the individual, either by worship of Race or of the Proletariat.

In twentieth century America, the "liberals" and "progressives" did pretty much the same thing, with utopian scientism.

Strikes me as ironic that those who deny the possibility of intelligent design, pretend/believe that they, and only they, can intelligently design the future."
-Rightminds Whitey 10/20/2013
"We're all here to do what
 We're all here to do"
-The Oracle
"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority."
¯ Benjamin Franklin
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short;
but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark."
-Michelangelo-
"Lord, grant that I may always desire more than I can accomplish."
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell - British philosopher
Scientists find earliest signs of life on Earth - bacteria 3.5B years old.
Senator Fred Thompson
"If I ever need to develope and Ego, you've got the job." The Omega Machine to The Doctor
Once in Hawaii, I was taken to see a Buddhist temple.
In the temple, a man said, "I am going to tell you something that you will never forget."
And then he said "To every man is given the key to Heaven.
The same key opens the gates of Hell."

And so it is with science.

--Richard Feynman
"Scientific knowledge is an enabling power to do either good or bad -
but it does not carry instructions on how to use it," he added.

"If we want to solve a problem that we have never solved before,
we must leave the door to the unknown ajar," Feynman said.
To do so leads to what he described as an "open channel."

"It is our responsibility as scientists... to proclaim the value of this freedom;
to teach how doubt is not to be feared but welcomed and discussed;
and to demand this freedom as our duty to all coming generations."

"Alone we can do so little,
 Together we can do so much"
Helen Keller
"If there be trouble let it be in my day, that my children may have peace." -Thomas Paine
By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach.  ~Winston Churchill
The trouble with talking too fast is you may say something you haven't thought of yet.  ~Ann Landers
Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute.  ~Josh Billings
Let a fool hold his tongue and he will pass for a sage.  ~Pubilius Syrus
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret.  ~Ambrose Bierce
Never miss a good chance to shut up. ~Will Rogers
Talk to people about themselves and they will listen for hours.  ~Benjamin Disraeli
---------------
Coolidge was known for his terse speech and reticence.
A woman bet her friend that she could get Coolidge to speak to her,
which was something he was reluctant to do.
She went up to him and said: "Hello, Mr. President,
I bet my friend that I could get you to say three words to me."
"You lose," Coolidge replied dryly, and walked away.

Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them.  ~Adlai Stevenson

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.  ~Author unknown, attributed to Mark Twain

"Imagine how dumb the average man is, and then try to imagine that half the worlds population is dumber than that!!"
-George Carlin
"Some people get rich studying artificial intelligence.
Me, I make my money studying natural stupidity."
-Carl Icahn-
"The left is incapable of embarrasment." - George Will
“Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers, press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon the American constitution is such as to grow everyday more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster by the hour. The revenue creates pensioners, and the pensioners urge more revenue. The people grow less steady, spirited, and virtuous, the seekers more numerous and more corrupt, and every day increases the circles of their dependents and expectants, until virtue, integrity, public spirit, simplicity, frugality, become the objects of ridicule and scorn, and vanity, luxury, foppery [excessively concerned with fine things], selfishness, meanness, and downright venality [bribery, and selling influence for money or power] swallow up the whole society.” - John Adams, 1735-1826

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert Where am I? Original Top of thread Previous | Next | Current page