Online users
???: Message   

How can we be said to be "progressing" when there are no more bakery trucks anymore?
Post Reply   Forum

Posted by: LateForLunch ®

06/05/2018, 21:19:33

Author Profile Mail author Edit

For those who do not know, I am 100 years old. Yes. That's right. When I grew up in the 1960s, a truck came through the neighborhood every few days selling fresh baked bread and (wait for it) fresh donuts. 

Yep. As a child, I was able to go out of my front door in the morning to a very cool looking truck with wide, smooth drawers full of fresh  donuts*. Our family was not able to often afford anything off that truck except donuts. The bread was fairly pricey. 

There is an exquisite memory (the aroma was rich).

Children of today will never know this sublimely-civilized convenience. What the Hell is that? How is society 
improved" when such things become impossible?

If I were a billionaire, I might be tempted to start up a business like that just to give back to the commoonity. 

Progress my ass. Less liberty. Less luxury. More work. Higher taxes. Sigmund Freud thought Humanity was eventually going to drive everyone crazy with "progress". He questioned the whole notion of modern technological society being "better" than the society which preceded it. 

Silly notion, eh? (PTUI!)

Modified by LateForLunch at Tue, Jun 05, 2018, 21:58:19

Post Reply | Recommend | Alert View All   Previous | Next | Current page

Replies to this message